Wednesday, March 2, 2011

My Mini-Tin

Good Day folks,

As I sit here... it is blowing and a mere 46 below zero with the wind chill.  I live in Canada and even for a Canadian that is severely COLD!!  I'm thinking the North Pole is warmer.  It's the kind of cold where I worry about the deer and coyotes and... I wonder... what temperature does it have to be before glass cracks? 

I have been working on my "mini-watercolor tin" and I must say, I really like it.  I needed to get some silicone so that I could make in water-proof on the inside.  I siliconed around the blister pack that I glued in.  Don't use metal glue...it didn't work for me.  I siliconed the blister pack in as well, so overall it took about 2 days to dry.  I painted it with acrylics and 
pen+ink and cut out the heart and flowers out of an old book page.  This was the first time I have tried Golden's Fluid Acrylics and Wow!! I love them...you don't need much and the pigment stays true...I knew there must be a reason they are so expensive.  Quality.  They also have a shine to them that I like.  I haven't tried them in my journal yet so I am interested to see if they are sticky when dry.  I have heard that some artists say the pages stick when they use it and some say that they don't stick.  So I will just have to let you know when I use them in my journal.  

I can't wait to put in the liquid water-colors into my mini.  I am going to put in the primaries, red, blue and yellow. Then white, black and brown.  I think I can mix any color with those.  I am not a seasoned watercolorist so if anyone out there knows what colors I should need in this little travel tin let me know.

 This is the bottom of the tin and I am not yet done, I want to write a personal note to myself but I am not quite sure what yet.  I want to thank Leslie at "Comfortable Shoes" for her excellent video and sharing her way of making these.  I want to make a ton of them...but no one paints :(  
I then will have to spray the whole outside of the tin and then do allot of coats so that it is well protected from the abuse that I know I will put it through.

The next project I have to finish is the Midori Traveller that I showed you last week.  I have all the supplies now and I just have to get it done.  I cut mine a bit too small so wish me luck.

"Skill to do comes of doing."  Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I can't see the tin very well with the way the lighting and shades cover the view of your artwork.... Hope you show this tin again.

From what I can see it looks beautiful I wish you lots of blessings!

Love you
your sis
Chrisitne